By Ahmed Gassas
Yesterday Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard played his last game for Liverpool F.C. in the English Premier League, ending his 17-year stint since his debut for the club. So it’s goodbye to the celebrated footballer and here are 10 facts about him.
1. At the age of 9 he was spotted by Liverpool F.C. while playing for Whiston Juniors.
After a stint in the youth club, he signed his first professional contract for Liverpool F.C. at the age of 17.
2. Gerrard spent his entire career at Liverpool.
His debut for the club was in 1998 and cemented his place in the first team in 2000.
3. He won the renowned Ballon d’Or Bronze Award in 2005.
In addition to that, he also won the Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year in 2009 and UEFA Club Footballer of the Year in 2005.
4. Gerrard also played a large role in the England National Team. The Liverpool star appeared 114 times for the National team scoring 21 goals.
He also captained the English team in the 2010 World Cup and featured for his country from 2000 till 2014.
5. During his time in Liverpool F.C. Gerrard won the UEFA Champions League in 2005, the UEFA Cup in 2001 and the UEFA Super Cup in 2001 and 2005.
Gerrard has also won the Football Association Cup in 2001 and 2006, the Football League Cup in 2001, 2003 and 2012 as well as the Football Association Community Shield in 2006.
6. The Liverpool captain’s played the main role of a central midfielder at the club.
But he has also played as a second striker, attacking midfielder, holding midfielder, right back and right winger.
7. He scored a total of 118 goals in 501 games in the English Premier League and is Liverpool’s 5th highest goal scorer in the clubs history
With a total of 185 goals in all competitions.
8. Gerrard was also the first player ever to score in the FA Cup Final, a League Cup Final, a UEFA Cup Final and a Champions League Final.
9. The English Football legend is currently third in the country’s all time appearance list with 114 caps.
10. In 2011, Gerrard appeared in a British sports drama film, Will (2012).
It features an orphaned young girl who hitchhikes to the 2005 UEFA Champions League Final in Istanbul.
He will now be embracing his new role at Major League Soccer in the United States at LA Galaxy FC, the same club where David Beckham played during his last few years for professional football before moving to PSG.