We want to make sure you’re taking care of your health and eating well during this shutdown, so here are a few simple healthy recipes to add to your weekly rotation.
- 12 cups water
- 1 ½ cups quinoa
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 small red onion
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 bunch Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 bunch mint leaves, chopped
- ½ cup extra-virgin oil
- 1 juiced lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 avocado diced
- Boil the water in a large saucepan then add the quinoa, season with salt and pepper, stir once then leave to cook for 12 minutes.
- When dry, transfer the quinoa to a large bowl then add the cucumbers, onion, tomato, parsley, mint, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper and toss well. Top with avocado for garnish then serve.
Lemon Garlic Shrimps and Quinoa
- ¼ cup quinoa
- 1 teaspoons of Salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ pounds medium shrimp, peeled
- 2 garlic gloves, minced
- ½ juice of lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Boil 3 cups of water in a medium heat saucepan and pour the quinoa in slowly. Stir once and season it with salt and pepper to your taste then add a few drops of olive oil. Reduce the heat to medium low and leave to cook for 12 minutes.
- Season the shrimp with the salt, pepper and cumin, then splash a few drops of olive oil in the mix. Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and garlic then keep tossing until the shrimps are pink. Remove from the heat then add 2 tablespoons water, the lemon juice and parsley. Stir the shrimp with the sauce then season with salt and pepper to your taste.
Baked Orange Chicken and Brown Rice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil/ coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- zest and juice of 2 oranges
- Salt and pepper
- Four boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook. Keep stirring until the onions are brown and soft.
- Combine the onions, chicken broth, rice, ¼ cup of orange juice, 2 teaspoons of the orange zest, oil, salt and stir together.
- Toss the chicken with the remaining oil in a separate pan and add salt and pepper. Settle the chicken into the rice mixture then cover the dish and transfer it to the oven. Bake for 60 minutes.
- Take out the dish from the oven and drizzle the chicken with 2 tablespoons of orange juice. Continue to bake until most of the liquid is absorbed, the chicken is cooked and the rice is tender. Keep in for about 45 minutes more.
Chia Seed Pudding
- 1 cup vanilla-flavored unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ chia seeds
- Strawberries, chopped
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- In a bowl, whisk the almond milk, yogurt, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, the vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon salt until all is blended. Whisk in the chia seeds and stir, let it stand for 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, toss the berries with the remaining maple syrup and mix in the almonds on top then serve.
Healthy Orange Loaf Cake
- 250g whole wheat flour
- 2 seedless whole oranges diced
- 2 large eggs
- 70 ml olive oil
- 100 ml honey
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Stir the mix well in a big bowl then place in a greased loaf tin and put in your oven for 30-35 minutes.