Here are some tips for safe tanning.
Summer is here! It’s finally time to hit the beach, bask in the sun and get that summer tan and glow going. Ah, but wait, let’s make sure we get that lovely glow while avoiding any mistakes that could harm our skin. How do we do that and with what creams? Well, ahem, we’ve got you covered! (pun totally intended)
Sun Bathing Dos and Don’ts:
- Do apply sunscreen. This is the most essential part of protecting your skin during the summer. It’s recommended that you apply it daily regardless of tanning.
- Do choose the best tanning and sunscreen lotions. If you have a light skin tone, you are at a higher risk of getting exposed to UVI rays. Therefore, pick a sunscreen that contains at least SPF 30. (Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen. Broad Spectrum SPF45)
- Do wear sunglasses and a hat (bonus points for the floppy variety). Hats can protect you from getting heat stroke.
- Do drink a lot of water while tanning. Staying hydrated while getting exposed to the sun is a must.
- Do protect your hair and apply a good oil to take care of it. (NUXE Huile Prodigieuse Multi-Purpose Dry Oil)
- Don’t wax or shave within 24 hours of tanning. Skin can be sensitive and exposing it to the sun could cause skin irritations, breakouts and possibly burns.
- Don’t spend more than 2-3 hours of tanning a day.
- Don’t forget to moisturize after that sun exposure. (Moisturizing & Regenerating After-Sun Balm from Sephora).
Hang on, maybe the beach is too far, the weather is too humid or you just want all the joys of tanning without getting exposed to the sun? Yup, you guessed it: let’s talk about self-tanning.
Self-tanning dos and don’ts:
- Do pick the best self-tanner product for your skin tone. There are self-tanners for both light and dark skins. (Hoola Zero Tanlines Allover Body Bronzer from Benefit Cosmetics. It’s a gel body bronzer with a custom sponge applicator for a mess-free, matte-bronze finish.)
- Do read the instructions on the bottle to insure you are using it correctly.
- Do exfoliate before applying your self-tanner. Exfoliating will remove the dead skin cells, making it smoother to apply evenly on your skin.
- (If you’re still going to do this outdoors) Do apply sunscreen before the self-tanner.
- Don’t use your bare hands while applying the tanner. Use a glove or mitt for better application.
- Don’t swim or shower until 4-6 hours after applying the self-tanner.
Web: sephora.sa / lush.com.sa