Khushu refers to the humility or humbleness we feel while performing Salah. It is an important part prayer because it reflects the state of our heart and often, our closeness to Allah, The Most Merciful.
The following verse from the Qur’an highlights the necessity of performing Salah with khushu;
The following are some tried and tested ways to develop khushu in prayer:
- Develop the habit to pray with patience and calmness.
- Pause after each verse to follow the Sunnah of the Prophet (PBUH)
- Understand what you’re reciting by studying tafsir of the verses.
- Improve your prayer by memorizing and reciting new verses.
- Ihsan is every Muslim’s responsibility to worship as though they can see Allah, The Most Merciful. Train your mind to imagine that Allah is with you in the same room when you’re praying (He IS nearer to us than our veins).
- Pray to thank Allah for all the countless blessings that He has given you in your life. Be mindful of those who are living less fortunate lives and thank Allah for what you have.
- Satan’s goal is to mess your life up by making you stray away from the right things and distracting you while you perform your prayers. So, pray with the purpose to defeat overcome those negative goals.
- Khushu doesn’t end with prayer. Try to be aware of Allah even when you’re not praying. You can do this by doing dhikr while shopping or in the car, or whenever you remember (which has tremendous rewards), working, driving and whenever you find yourself feeling low or upset.
- Prepare a comfortable area for praying and enjoy the process of praying as it is a very personal form of worship.
- Perform voluntary prayers, and try to think of praying as a refuge which will allow you to feel better and uplift your mood, rather than feeling like it’s a task that you need to complete 5 times on a daily basis.
So, how do you know if you have some levels of khushu in your prayer?
Your heart will feel calm, your worries will disappear, you will feel closer to Allah and sadness over finishing your prayer.
We hope you’ll be successful in attaining peace and khushu in your Salah.