If you are venturing onto an organic food adventure, these are some things you need to know.
Leading healthy lifestyles is now officially IN. This has recently become a growing trend as more people realize the dangers of chemically grown and fast food and deviate towards healthy and organic foods. According to researches, going organic might reduce your risks of diseases such as cancer or heart diseases. It also helps prevent the accumulation of toxins in your body.
The main attraction for organic crops is the fact that it they are chemical free; they are grown naturally and in safe and unmodified soil without any bioengineered genes or petroleum-based fertilizers.
Regarding organic livestock, it must be herded outdoors and given organic feed; it mustn’t be given any growth hormones. Raising stock according to organic criteria ensures the animal’s welfare.
To Your Door
More places such as restaurants or supermarkets across the Kingdom are now offering organic foods and healthy meals to encourage people to follow that path. So it is no longer a hassle to locate or buy organic foods. Don’t slack off!
One of the places that both grows and sells organic food is Organica, the farm located in Yanbu Al Nakheel. Its managing director, Asaad Numan, gives us the intel.
Organica established its name in the world of organic farming and pesticide free produce. Located in Yanbu Al Nakheel, the farm produces a wide variety of vegetables, dates, free-range eggs and lamb meat. Sahal and Saud Numan purchased the farm in the early 90’s and years later, Asaad Numan, Sahal’s son, took it to the next level. He started the ecommerce delivery platform through the Organica website.
Numan explains, “Organic farming is a technique involving the cultivation of plants and the rearing of animals in natural ways. This process involves the use of biological materials and avoids synthetic substances to maintain soil fertility and ecological balance. Organic farming makes use of pesticides and fertilizers if they are considered natural.”
Numan believes that the organic food movement is paramount to the Saudi society “The movement in KSA will definitely pick up and with the encouragement of the Ministry of Agriculture – we will see more Saudi farms that will convert to organic farming and supply more organic food to the people.”
- Did You Know?
- According to Khalid Al Fuhaid, Deputy Minister of Agriculture, there are more than 130 organic farms in KSA today.
- Products labeled “organic” may be more expensive because production is often on a smaller scale and with stricter regulations.
- Advantages of organic meat include reduced exposure to antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
- In early 2011, the Saudi National Organic Logo was created. This seal is only allowed on foods that contain at least 95 percent organic ingredients.
- The term, “made with organic ingredients,” means the product contains at least of 70 percent organic ingredients.