The A to Z on the juice cleanse trend.
Media have been abuzz the past few years about juice cleanses as the go-to way to incorporate healthier eating habits. Amid the hype you’re bound to have questions about it all.
What is a juice cleanse?
As the name suggests, the juice cleanse is a detoxifying diet that comprises entirely of raw vegetable and fruit juices. Vegetables and fruits that are rich in nutrients and provide a variety of health benefits are juiced and consumed directly.
Examples of some vegetables and fruits that can be juiced include:
- Kale and spinach – rich in iron and folate
- Cabbage – packed with vitamin C
- Wheatgrass – loaded with nutrients and vitamins
- Carrot – a great source of vitamin A and a natural sweetener for your juice
- Cucumbers – rich in vitamin K.
- Apple, tomato, blueberries and pineapple – all rich in antioxidants and provide a natural, sweet and refreshing taste to your vegetable juice.
Is it for me?
Food today can be overloaded with toxins, pesticides, additives, saturated fats, allergens and more, all of which will take a heavy toll on your diet and life. Mix in caffeine consumption, poor sleeping habits and overeating and things just get worse.
If you feel bloated, lethargic, craving junk food and caffeine all the time, or having skin breakouts, this cleanse might just be the right way to “jump-start” into a healthier lifestyle. Consuming a nutrient-dense, plant-based juice diet allows the digestive system to detox and repair itself.
However, we highly recommend you consult your doctor and dietician before you begin a cleanse and limit the detox for only three days at a time.
How do I start?
It’s best to consume the entire fruit or vegetable— the core, rind, pulp and seeds— as they are high in fiber. Most fruits and vegetables can be juiced in your blender or juicer, and the end result is best consumed fresh on the day that it’s made.
Is it in town?
If the thought of juicing is too tedious, don’t worry— we’ve found the best all-natural juice bars around! At the Green Fix, you can order revitalizing fresh juices in delicious flavors like The Hulk (apple, spinach, cucumber, celery, lemon and ginger) or Smooth Almonds (cinnamon, almonds and dates). And the best part? These juices stay fresh up to 72 hours!
If you want a physical spot to check out, you have to try Zest and their Zest Veggies selection of drinks. Refreshing and delicious.
Mob: +966-542433880 (Whatsapp for orders only)
Location: King Faisal Rd., Khobar
Here’s an easy and vibrant recipe to get you started:
- 1 beetroot
- 1 red apple
- 2 carrots
- ½ inch fresh ginger
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Wash all the ingredients thoroughly and pat dry.
- Peel beetroot and carrot.
- Cut beetroot, apple and carrot into small chunks.
- Blend all ingredients together until mixture is smooth.
- Add a little bit of water if the consistency is too thick for you.
- Drink immediately or no more than 12 hours later.