Your guide to happier curly hair.
Shampoos and Conditioning Products
It all goes back to the basics: using the right shampoo and conditioner will make a huge difference. Shampoos with sulfate in them will cleanse your hair from its natural oils, making it super frizzy and dry. Avoiding substances like sulfate, silicon and paraben in the products you use will leave you with happier curls all the way.
Here are our picks for products to use:
1. SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Replenishing Shampoo
Order from Amazon.
2. NO-POO Original Zero Lather Conditioning Cleanser
Order from Amazon.
3. Sauve Coconut Conditioner (yes, you can use a conditioner to cleanse your scalp).
You can find it at Danube.
How to get those defined curls?
Keeping your hair moisturized is key to eliminating the frizz and getting defined curls.
Here are our pro tips:
1. Apply coconut oil before showering and overnight for maximum moisturizing effect.
You can find coconut oil in Tamimi and Danube.
2. Deep condition your hair before getting in the shower and cover it to lock down the moisture while you wash.
3. Focus on cleaning your scalp using your fingers or a scalp-cleansing brush during the shower.
4. Do not detangle your hair after showering; just finger-brush it or use a wide-toothed brush in the shower (you can find these in your local pharmacy or beauty shops such as Sephora).
5. Use a cotton t-shirt to dry your hair, let it air-dry, or use a hair diffuser.
You can find one in SACO and Nazeeh stores.
6. Do not use any kind of heat on your hair as it will cause breakage.
7. Before going bed, put your hair into a high pineapple bun, and if you want to go the extra mile, cover your hair with a soft fabric cap.
Find it online on Amazon.
8. Use a soft fabric (silk or satin) pillowcase.
- 9. If your curls are a day or two old and they start to crunch, then spray them with water and drench the ends with coconut oil, styling cream or gel.
- DEVACURL No-Comb Detangling Spray.
- SheaMoisture Professional Curl Leave-in Conditioner.