Your monthly dose of health.
Lifestyle Tip of the Month: Earth is in serious need of our help, and we can all pitch in. Everything you do, no matter how big or small, makes a difference!
Here are 11 simple tips to help you start living a more eco-friendly lifestyle, from today:
- Use a reusable grocery bag when you go shopping (no to plastic bags).
- Use a water bottle you can refill; no, to buying plastic bottled water.
- Buy locally, instead of importing whenever possible.
- Eat seasonally – help support sustainable farmers, and get fresher food.
- Cut down on printing; save the trees and use an alternative to printing (e.g. e-tickets).
- Turn off appliances and lights that you are not using (energy efficiency).
- Carpool and rely less on your car whenever possible. Ride your bike, walk, or even run to get to places. Get moving people, literally J.
- Volunteer for or support local animal-shelters.
- Recycle, recycle, recycle. There is no such thing as ‘away’. When we throw anything away, it always ends up somewhere.
- Conserve household water use; be water wise.
- Take extinction off your plate; eat less meat.
Being mobile is a crucial aspect of our health and wellbeing. Our mobility effects the range of motion of our joints and muscles, and our posture overall.
Regular mobility training, even for a few minutes, goes a long way. It can alleviate ‘everyday’ aches and pains as well as improve our body awareness.
Here is a brief mobility session from the NTC+ (Nike Training Club) application that you can perform anywhere anytime! To see a live demonstration of the moves listed below and other great mobility moves, tune into the NTC+ app.
(18 minutes; no equipment; active recovery).
- 2-3 minutes of pulse-raising exercises (cardio-based)
- World’s greatest stretch (elbow to instep, internal torso rotation with reach, to a hamstring and calf stretch); 1 minute
3x (30 seconds each)
- Crab reaches
- Crab toe touches
- Bird dogs (alternating)
3x (30 seconds each)
- Dynamic runner lunge (alternate)
- Walkouts to push-up
- YTW with arms
- Lateral hip openers
Quote of the month:
“The body achieves what the mind believes.”