If you’re going to be outdoors during the day, you might want to stick to loose cottons and linens to protect you against the sun.
- Abaya: Women are required to be in an abaya at all times, but many casual places do not require you to wear the headscarf. You are not required to be wearing the abaya when you arrive at the airport, but are advised to arrange one soon after reaching the Kingdom. Consider purchasing two abayas: a casual one for sight-seeing and outdoor activities and a formal one for dinners and meetings.
- Headscarf or shawl: Keep a shawl or scarf handy just in case as you never know when you might need it.
- A sun-hat or parasol
- Sunscreen: This is absolutely vital. Carry a portable one around to use as needed.
- Footwear: Flip-flops or sandals are ideal for casual wear, but carry your sneakers for outdoor excursions and formal shoes or heels for dinners or other formal gatherings.
- A water bottle: Staying hydrated is always a good idea, and if you’re planning on being outdoors, a water bottle is crucial.