No need to pack instant ramen for these destinations. Get ready to travel around the world.
From tripe to curries to food trucks, get ready to go on a ride of culinary delight. DR picked some of the best cities from around the world to get a taste of local flavor and culture.
Austin, Texas, USA
This city is popular for its food trucks. It doesn’t have as many food trucks as the other cities in USA, but, the ones present provide the best American food ever. Enjoy southern comfort food, like a slow smoked brisket, the weirdest fried food and pecan desserts like a pecan pie or pecan pralines. Or you can opt for their wide range of cuisines like Thai or Mexican, provided by food trucks. Austin food trucks live up to their motto: ‘Keep Austin Weird’.
To satisfy your hearty appetite, try the fried sandwiches at Hey!… You Gonna Eat Or What? – Midway Food Park
Besides football and sightseeing, Barcelona has an amazing local cuisine. Seafood paella, made with rice, seafood broth, mussel, lobster, shrimp and cuttlefish, is a must try. Cannelloni (pasta with stewed meat), la bomba (potato croquette), Calçots (native catalan green onions) with romesco sauce and Pa amb tomaquet (bread smeared with tomato, olive oil and garlic) are some of the local savory dishes that you must try. Barcelona is also popular for its desserts: churros, crema catalana, mato and xuixos.
Visit Bego & Ivan, warm home-chefs who live in Carrer de Sostres, to try their catalan menu. Especially their paella.
London, England, UK
If you find yourself in London, we suggest you to check out the Sunday marts. It’ll give you a peak of the local life, culture and food. Most of these Sunday marts are really large. It’ll take you hours to cover just one. They consist of organic fruits and vegetables, local and international savory and sweet food markets, and seafood markets. For your convenience, some of the food stalls are marked as ‘halal’.
- Fish and chips
- Sunday roast with Yorkshire pudding
- Beef wellington
- Pie and mash, or Bangers (sausage) and mash
- Sticky toffee pudding
- All the tea of London
Borough Market, 8 Southwark St.
Try the blue cheese duck sandwich, desserts and check out the oyster market.
This city is the gastronomical capital of France and the world. It’s famous for its offal specialties, cheese, wine, bread, chocolates and desserts. You can try these at the local bouchons, which are restaurants that serve traditional Lyonnaise cuisine, like tripe, chicken liver salad and quenelles (flour and cream dumplings).
- Cervelle de Canut
- Dayglo pink pralines in tart
- Breaded and fried tripe
- Saint Marcellin
- Tomme du Beaujolais
- For a feast of senses, visit Les Halles de Lyon Paul Bocuse at 102 Cours Lafayette, the central market for fresh produce and delicious local meals.
- Chabert & Fils, a bouchon, at 11 Rue des Marronniers, for local taste.
- Bernachon, a 42 Cours Franklin Roosevelt, for delightful chocolates and pastries.
Copenhagen has a lot in store for you. Genuine, honest and aesthetic is the food motto of the city. It has a street filled with food trucks, music and art which aims to give you a taste of the amazing local food and international cuisines and the city also has a truly really super market to provide you with the freshest produce and exotic products. It is home to the Denmark’s biggest food court. Let’s just say that the country assures that you won’t go home hungry. Besides, the city gives you a chance to party like a Dutch.
- Smørrebrød (Open-Faced Sandwiches)
- Grød (Porridge)
- Rugbrød (Rye bread)
- Hindbærsnitter (Raspberry Bars)
- Wienerbrød (Danish pastry)
- Tarteletter (Savory Danish pastry)
- Visit the Copenhagen Street Food – Hal 7 & 8 Papirøen, Trangravsvej 14, 7/8, 1436 København K – for local flavors, music and art.
- For a quick meal or some freshly baked bread, visit denmark’s biggest food court, WestMarket – Vesterbrogade 97 1620 København V.
- Check out Torvehallerne – Frederiksborggade 21, 1360 København K – for the freshest of the produce, gourmet chocolates, local cheese and exotic spices. This supermarket has everything Danish. You can also get your things specifically packed for travel.
(In Box) Other Notable Food Capitals:
- Santorini, Greece (or Crete island)
- Amritsar, Punjab, India
- Hong Kong, China
- Manila, Philippines