By Dilara Hafiz
Everything may seem unfamiliar from the language, the people to the currency and the transport system. It may even be the first time you’ve travelled on your own…but don’t worry as you are not alone!
There are many Saudi students out there studying abroad. Before they all undertook their educational endeavor, they had to choose where they would head to first and that was not an easy choice to make. Prior to embarking upon your chosen course of study, you should try to cover all aspects of studying abroad in order to ensure a successful experience.
1. Select your course of study after serious thought and advice.
Not just because it sounds good.
2. Make sure your language skills are proficient.
Otherwise you’ll struggle in basic communication and comprehension in class.
3. Do you want to be in a city or out in the country?
Small college or large university?
4. Accommodation is key to your happiness – rent or buy?
Stay in a dorm or live with family/friends?
5. Weather can affect your mood.
Can you survive lots of snow or do you want sun?
6. Upon arrival, join clubs and get involved to beat home-sickness.
7. Invest in a good international calling package or Skype.
To keep in touch with your family. There are a lot more choices nowadays, thanks to technology.
8. Be true to yourself.
Enjoy your independence without forgetting your roots or your identity.