Proverbs are one of the best ways to get an understanding of the heritage of a particular group of people. They evoke emotion, instill wisdom and provoke deep thought. To survive the test of time, a proverb needs to have all 3 embedded in it.
Arabia has always been a land of mystery to the West; behind the scents, the souks and rich culture is a treasure trove of wisdom. So have a read and gain some insight in the thoughts of the people that inhabited this land centuries ago.
1. A bite from a lion is better than the look of envy.
2. The purest people are the ones with good manners.
3. A friend advises in his interest, not yours.
4. When your son grows up, become his brother.
5. Wishing does not make a poor man rich.
6. Unity is power.
7. Stinginess demeans the value of man.
8. Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave.
9. Wealth comes like a turtle and goes away like a gazelle.
10. Time is made of gold.
11. The weapon first, fighting second.
12. The neighbor comes before the home.
13. The rope of lies is short.